Table of Contents
1. Introduction To Link-Building:
One of the most important strategies of search engine optimization or SEO happens to be link-building. In pursuit of gaining organic traffic or a good rank on search engine results, websites make use of the link-building technique.
In the process of link-building a link is put on another website, leading to the original web address so that people from the website hosting the link may be led and brought to the website that is targetted by the link-building strategy.
Building backlinks is an important element for improving search engine ranks as well as in getting more people to visit the website that you are targeting to promote. Research and experience are evidence that the technique works like a charm for the SEO industry and an increase in traffic to websites.
According to an Authority Hacker article,
2. Link-Building Reports – What They Are & Why They Are Important:
– What Are Link Building Reports and What You Find On Them:
Very simply put, a link building report is a report that tells you all about your link-building effort as well as about your success rate in the pursuit of building links.
Creating link-building reports is an important task because it helps you get clarity on how you can create fool-proof link-building campaigns and strategies to keep getting the attention of the search engines as well as your target audiences.
Here are some of the elements of a link-building report that you will find on it:
* Number of backlinks acquired
* The domain authority or the quality of the backlinks
* The locations or the websites from which the backlinks are acquired
* The pages on your website that are being linked back from host websites
* What anchor texts are used in the link-building process or the creation of the backlinks
These are some of the facts and data that can be logged into the report for backlinks that you may be maintaining. After a certain period of time, the report becomes your one-stop solution for all the things that you need to know about your link-building effort.
– The Importance of Link-building Reports:
There are a lot of reasons why it is important to maintain a report on your backlink strategy and actionable tasks. Here are some of the most essential reasons that you should know about:
* Monitor Progress: With the help of the report, you can closely monitor the links to check for results of your link-building efforts.
* Strategy Evaluation: You need to maintain reports to make sure that you are able to evaluate your link-building strategy regularly. This helps you reinforce the backlink-building activities while avoiding the creation of bad links.
* Tracking Competitors’ Links: When you have good link building reporting in place, you can also keep a close watch on the link-building techniques of competitors. This helps ensure that you do not miss out on targeting websites for backlink outreach that your competitors are reaching out to.
* Identifying potential link opportunities: When you have a great report to refer to, you can be sure about identifying potential link opportunities with ease. You do not run the risk of missing out on websites that may be a good source for creating high-quality backlinks.
* Risk Management: The best link builders believe that your report also helps you in planning ahead to mitigate risk and avoid link-building problems.
* Investors’ Report: With the help of the link-building report, you can easily keep your investors looped in about how your website marketing efforts are moving forward and the results that you are getting from the link-building techniques that you are using.
3. The 6 Tips to Link-Building Reporting:
Tip 1: Keep It Simple and Easy to Understand:
When you are creating a link building report, it is important to keep the report simple and easily understandable. This will make the report readable and useful in taking quick action when your link-building effort requires it.
Here’s what you can do to create a simple yet effective report:
* Layout: Have a simple and easy-to-read layout for the report. This will help you check all the details of what links are built, where they lead, what kind of backlink it is, and other important details.
* Visual Representation: Your report must contain graphs and charts that help in easy skimming of the report. All words and no pictures truly make a report dull.
* Language: Use language that is easy to understand and does not confuse a reader. It may do you well to avoid technical jargon in your link building reporting.
* Summarize In the Beginning: At the beginning of the report, add a summary of the report for ease of reference.
* Regular Updates: If your link-building report is not up to date, it may not help the end goal that you set to achieve through your report.
* Provide Context: You need to give clarity on why some link building metrics are important and why they are put in the report.
* Use Color Coding: Just like graphs and charts, color coding is important for ease of reading through the report and clearly identifying the different aspects of the report.
Tip 2: Highlighting Key Metrics:
Highlighting the key link-building metrics is important for several reasons in a link-building report, here are some of the reasons that need to be considered:
* Progress Report: One of the most important reasons why highlighting key metrics in a report is important is because it helps understand the progress and the success of your link-building techniques and efforts.
* Opportunities: You need to highlight key metrics to be able to easily identify potential link opportunities and create a strong backlink profile.
* Showcases Value: In the link-building reporting process, you need to show the value of your link-building efforts, which can be shown by highlighting the key metrics.
* Strategy Building: With the help of the highlighted key metrics, you can be sure about working more on the strategic actions that are doing better for your backlink profile.
* Staying Ahead of Competitors: Your highlighted key metrics can help ensure that you are able to stay ahead of the competitors by keeping track of their backlink-building strategies and actions.
Highlighting the key metrics of your link-building report can have an impact on your SEO campaign as it eases the functions of the link-building process effectively.
Tip 3: Using Visuals for Better Understanding:
The use of visuals is known to be important for a lot of reasons in a link-building report, here are some essential reasons and ways in which visuals may be added to a report:
* Easy Understandability: With the use of visual infographics like charts and graphs, the understandability of the report may be enhanced.
* Better Engagement: Reports can get boring to see after a certain point. However, when your report includes visual information, the report becomes much more interesting to read.
* Highlight Data: Any important link building reporting data that needs to be highlighted can be done by adding visual data to the report.
* Recall Value: With the help of visual data, you can create recall value to add memorability to the report.
* Professional Look: You can add awesome content to your report and make it look professional by using visuals and graphics.
Tip 4: Regular Update & Review of Report:
When you want your backlink profile to be robust, you need to make sure you pay close attention to not only your link-building campaign but also the report that you create for it. Here’s how you can review your link-building report on a regular basis with ease:
* Review Quantity of Links: Link builders need to keep a tab on the quantity of the links that they build using your backlink-building strategies.
* Check Quality: In the process of review, you also need to check the quality of the links that are built since some are from viable domain authority while others may not have too much value.
* Link Relevance: You need to check whether you have relevant links on your backlink profile. With the help of the right links, you also target relevant audiences, which is why this is an important review factor.
* Anchor Text: The anchor text that is used for the creation of the link is also important in creating a relevant link. This text should be contextual and should ideally contain the target keyword for the content strategy that you are working on.
* Link Types: Review the link types that you use in your backlink profile, There are do-follow and no-follow links that you have to work on building and both are important in the creation of a good SEO campaign.
* Link Placement: You need to review the placement of the link to make sure that it is placed within a piece of content rather than in parts that may not be considered by search bots or crawlers.
* Link Velocity: It is important to keep a watch on the speed of your link success. A sudden spike in the link velocity may be flagged as unnatural and you need to work on controlling that to avoid being penalized by search engines.
* Competitors’ Links: You also need to keep a check on the links built by competitors to make sure that you know exactly where your own backlink-building process may be falling short.
A rule of thumb in reviewing your natural backlink profile is to make sure that you not only keep a watch on it but also analyze it effectively. Only when you review your reports thoroughly will you be able to find the natural backlink profile growing as per your expectations.
Tip 5: Competitor Analysis:
It may be interesting to know that when you indulge in competitor analysis, you get to add value to your own natural backlink profile as well. Here’s how competitors’ analysis helps in the form of a SEO tool:
1. Opportunities: Identifying potential link opportunities is a possibility when you choose competitors’ analysis. There may be websites that you may have missed in your consideration of building backlinks which you can find out by following the backlink profiles of competitors.
2. Link Quality: You get to know what quality of links the competitors are building. Following the quality of competitors’ links may be a worthwhile link-building tactic for you since you get to learn about some good quality link-building tools and strategies.
3. Creating Benchmarks: When you compare yourself with the websites that have the best link-building metrics, you may be able to set realistic and viable goals for yourself.
4. Learning Strategies: There are several link-building strategies such as guest blogging, attaining unlinked brand mentions or other unlinked mentions among a list of mentions, and more. These are strategies that you may learn from competitors’ portfolios of link-building.
5. Clarity and Effectiveness: When you choose to learn from competitors, you get clarity on the kinds of links that should be built, you do not have to indulge in too much trial and error in the process of building external links.
When you keep a watch on the work of the competitors, you may be able to build your own effective and result-oriented link profile, which is why it is important to keep an eye on what the competitors are doing. After all, as per an Outreach Monks article,
– Tip6: Using Automated Tools In Link-Building Reporting:
— Why You Need the Automation:
There are reasons why people make use of tools for analytics purposes while taking up link-building reports. it is important to know why analytics tools like Google Analytics are used and exactly what tools are best for link-building report analysis.
Here’s a list of reasons why the tools are best used in backlink reports:
* For in-depth analysis: When tools are used, the chances of errors are reduced greatly. You can expect accurate analysis results whether it is about referral traffic, information on your email outreach efforts, your directory links, or anything else to do with backlink building in general.
* Time-saver: The use of the best analysis tools may be a good time-saver. You can gather more data, with better accuracy and precision while ensuring that you have enough time to use the data productively in adding value to your link-building profile.
* Formulation and Execution of link-building techniques: When you want to effectively formulate and execute your ideas for link-building, you are better off relying on the right tools for the job.
* Cost Effective: Working with the right tools may help you end up saving a lot of money that you may spend otherwise. The money spent on link-building reporting may be directed to the overall link-building budget.
* Avoid Penalization: When you rely on the right tools for link-building reports, you can be sure about avoiding penalization from search engines, which is commonly seen in cases where the reports are not maintained regularly owing to which mistakes in link-building are missed.
— What Are Some Automation Tools:
There are lots of tools that are used in analyzing link-building reports, these tools serve varied purposes. Here are some of the most viable analytics tools that are used most popularly:
– Google Analytics: This tool offers great help in tracking your traffic, the resources through which traffic is directed the most, the bounce rate, and more. It can serve a great deal in your link-building reporting effort.
– Ahrefs: This is a tool that is important for building a backlink profile. It helps in SEO and marketing including results for keyword research, backlink analysis, competitor analysis, and more.
– SEMRush: SEMRush’s Backlink Analytics tool and features help to a great extent in the area of SEO management. It serves as an end-to-end SEO tool.
– Moz: This is another SEO tool that is highly proficient in functions such as rank tracking, tracking success for your link-building efforts, and more.
Apart from these tools, there are many more such as Buzzsumo, Majestic, SEO PowerSuite, and more. It may be safely assumed that these tools have become an imperative part of link building reporting.
It may be concluded by stating that the importance of link-building reports cannot be stressed enough. How the success of backlink-building efforts is maintained and increased depends greatly on creating reports that are easy to use and informative to the core.
It is, therefore, wise to realize that the use of reports, supporting tools, and analysis results is the best way to build on a backlink strategy and execute it successfully.
4. Frequently Asked Questions:
It is an essential aspect of SEO where one strategically focuses on increasing the number of links pointing toward your website.
Yes, it does matter a lot. In fact, it helps search engine to rank your pages in the search results.
For any strategy to work you need 3 basic elements i.e. vision, execution & goals.